No, I don’t mean learning how to fly an airplane. I mean, learn how to First. Love. Yourself.
Now before you stop reading, the thing you need to realize is that F.L.Y. doesn’t mean being selfish or lacking consideration for others. First love yourself means to look after your health. To put health at the top of your ‘to-do’ list.
As busy professional women, one of the hardest things to do is to put your health first. We are so busy with our careers, businesses, and families that often we put ourselves at the bottom of the ‘to-do’ list. Others before self: Isn’t this what we’ve been told as women?
Well, I’m here to tell you that we have this all backward. When we continually put other people and things before ourselves, we diminish our capacity to give, feel, and flourish.
Why Putting Yourself Last Is Detrimental
When it comes to taking care of ourselves, we can’t find the time. We stop doing the things that we know are good for us. We make lousy food choices, skip the gym, and cram our downtime with errands.
Why is it important to put yourself first on the list? Because when you don’t take care of your needs, you get resentful, irritable, make impulsive decisions, and burn out.
If you’re a busy professional woman who puts her career, business, and family first on the ‘to-do’ list, you’ll soon run out of energy, and the toll on your emotional and physical health will be catastrophic.
What Can You Do?
In order to F.L.Y. you’ll need to do things that nourish you emotionally and physically. Here are some suggestions:
- Take yourself out on a date. Make a list of what you enjoy doing and schedule time, once a week, to do it.
- Embrace healthy eating. Skip the fast food and junk food snacks. There are so many healthy choices you can make. Make them!
- Go outside. Take a break and go for a walk or eat your lunch outside. Take a book of poems with you and nourish your thoughts.
- Give yourself nourishment. Instead of making a quick stop at a fast food drive-thru, choose healthier alternatives.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep helps restore your body so don’t skimp on it!
- Give yourself knowledge. Busy professional women are accomplished women. And accomplished women learn what it takes to be emotionally and physically competitive in the business world. Seek guidance for your physical health and emotional wellbeing. A health consultation could be just the thing to bring your health back to life.
- Start your day with an affirmation. Throughout the day, repeat it to yourself. One of my favorites for busy professional women is, “Live with grace and purpose.”
- Read what inspires you. Not what stresses you.
- Eat in peace. It will do wonders for your countenance.
- Laugh often. It’s good for you.
Busy professional women often have trouble learning how to F.L.Y. They are used to putting other people and other people’s needs before their own. Decide to make a change. Put your health at the top of your ‘to-do’ list by incorporating the above 10 suggestions in your daily life and watch how far you fly.